Question. If I walk into a bank today and try to cash a check that is dated for two days from now can the bank cash it? Is it legal to do so?

Doh!
Occasional Contributor

8 REPLIES

@DOH, thank you for reaching out. A post dated check is an agreement between the merchant and you to collect funds on the provided date. When a check is presented for payment, the check will attempt to collect from the account regardless of the date written on the check. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you, Tricia

If I don’t date it can it be processed?

@Doh! That's a grate question. Checks can attempt to process regardless of the date written on the check. - Ben

The question is: Is it legal? I am not looking for company line but regulatory law.
The reason I ask is after 20 years with you this will be the third time in a year that my bills hit two plus days PRIOR to the date I requested and have left me in the red with phone calls to make, explanations etc to try to avoid fees (both ends of the transaction) and make things right.
Each time this has happened I have posed the scenario to a banking rep on the phone.
If I walk into a physical USAA branch today, write a check and attempt to cash it with a date a three days from now will your teller cash it or make me offer a new check with today’s date. Each time the answer is “no we wouldn’t “. Of course it causes some pause in regards to the double standard.
So legal? FTC legal? Officially interested . Thanks,

Hello @Doh! I have forwarded your concerns to a subject matter expert for review. Once researched we will be in contact with you. -Colleen

Tap, tap, tap.....this thing working??

Hello,

I am still lookimg for some info on this question. Thanks

Hello Doh! I do see your previous post was escalated. Please allow up to three business days for us to review and reach out to you. Thanks! -Colleen