TimSt
Contributor

I have been a member with USAA for 10 years. I have moved hundreds of thousands of dollars through their bank. I have paid tens of thousands for their services. This bank is almost entirely digital with no physical locations. There are only 5 USAA ATM in San Diego to service clients needs for cash depositing. I have had to call them 6 times this year for the only ATM within 25 miles of my home being out of service. This latest issue is my final transaction with them. On 11/19/2018 at 7:08 I tried to deposit $500 into the ATM (#088) and it  had a malfunction. After freaking out in error for 3 minutes the machine locked up but spit back out $400 of my $500 deposited. It ate $100 and spit out a receipt that said "We encountered a problem returning your cash. Please contact your financial institution." I immediately called customer service. I was on the phone for more than 30 minutes and the representative finally said he had submitted the claim and I would be contacted in less than 2 hours to be updated on the $100 credit due. Sure enough no call back all day. I called back today 11/20 and after 20 minutes on the phone the representative said she found "no record of my call yesterday. She would file the claim and I would be contacted within 24-72 business hours with a decision on my claim". So I immediately asked to elevate to another level and the next person gave me the run around too and ended up with the same response only added to the 24-72 hour disclaimer saying, "there would be a decision that could result in permanent, temporary, or no credit given". So after two calls and more than an hour on the phone this is how I am treated. What a terrible institution. It has gone downhill fast in 10 years. They have plenty of money to spend on commercials during NFL games, but not to take care of their veteran service members or to maintain and update equipment. 

1 REPLY

@TimSt, I can see you're upset with the handling of your ATM deposit. This is certainly not our intent to make you feel this way. I will engage a subject matter expert for further investigation of this matter. Please allow sufficient time for completion of their review and we will follow up with you. - Ben