Please add all affected USPHS officers/families to the 2018-19 USG partial shutdown eligibility list - don't disappoint!

USPHS-23
Contributor

As part of the 2018 (and now 2019) USG partial shutdown, I'm writing to express my extreme disappointment in USAA's current decision to limit their very low interest personal loan to US Coast Guard and NOAA officers. I am an active duty officer in the US Public Health Service, and am not personally affected, but many USPHS officers are, such as those assigned to the federal Bureau of Prisons, the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), Dept of Homeland Security, Indian Health Service, etc. Why is USAA not allowing all affected USPHS officers to be included as eligible for the special loan you are offering? I've been a member of USAA for decades, and always recommend that new officers bank with USAA. This current decision gives me pause, and I've called to inquire and though the person who answered was sympathetic, she could not give me a rationale for this "corporate" decision. I hope "corporate" will reconsider soon; you're disappointing many, many affected and unaffected officers and families who bank with USAA.

2 REPLIES

@USPHS-23, thank you for reaching out to us via USAA Community.  We understand that some of our non-military members are impacted by the current government shutdown, but given the difficulty in determining each federal department’s approach and each member’s status, we’ve had to limit this offer to active duty Coast Guard and NOAA Corps employees.  We encourage them to call us directly to discuss their specific situation, so we can help determine the best option for those impacted.  Thank you & truly appreciate your membership and trusting USAA with your financial needs for over 3 decades. ~ Marco

Wow, what a mealy-mouthed reply -- and I know this wasn't Marco speaking, this is the official boilerplate language that he has been given to deal with this mess. How about this instead... "Any USAA member who is working for the government or is affected in any way by the shutdown will be offered a no-cost loan to help them through this rough time." Then USAA, you do your due diligence to confirm status, but begin from the standpoint that every effort will be made to offer that loan -- not the other way around.

Marco, I'm sorry you're the poor customer-facing guy that has to deal with member outrage at such a stupid corporate decision.

42+ years and this is the first time I am truly embarrassed by USAA. And to think of all the people I've encouraged to join.