Please Add New Credit Card Security Service

Anonymous girl
Contributor

Hello,

I would like to see USAA add a service similar to Bank of America's Shop Safe:  https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go

This service will create a a temporary 16-digit account number, with expiration date and security code, that is linked to your real credit card, and allows you to complete your purchase while protecting your privacy.  For recurring payments, it will allow you to set a spending limit and set a "Valid through" date for up to 1 year in the future, which means you can easily stop payment. 

This would be extremely helpful for merchants who sometimes will not stop charging your card even though you have cancelled a membership -- some gyms, websites, etc.  I have gone through this twice and having this feature would have saved a lot of headache.  Some vendors will only do business with an automaticly recurring payment, so you have to give a credit card up front.  And this would allow you to do that, but with more peace of mind because you have the power to cut them off! 

Thanks... I am a longtime, satisfied USAA member.

27 REPLIES

I called USAA 10 years ago and then again a year or two later and requested that exact same security feature.

I had a BOA credit card through AAA, and I felt very secure purchasing things online because once I knew what I was purchasing I would set up a temporary credit card number and load/authorize just a few dollars more than the total of my purchase. Even if the card was compromised they couldn't get anything out of it, and the authorization and card number expired shortly after the purchase.

You are right, it is a great idea. I'm sure it will be brought to someone's attention and then It will go into the big black hole of suggestions where nothing ever happens.

I suppose there is always hope.
Interesting, I know that credit card companies have created virtual credit card for one transaction with online purchases but if I read what you wrote correctly you could create a virtual card number provide it to a bill like gym,directv,Sony and these tokenized virtual credit cards would stay active till you canceled them ?

Only problem with that is a merchant can force a transaction with there merchant account if card was canceled so would this act the same way as a canceled card ?

Sounds like a great feature none the less ;)

Thank you for this great suggestion. I am checking with our banking department to see if anything like this is in the works! I will make sure your idea is shared!

Thank you for your longtime membership and for taking the time to post here in the community! I look forward to seeing more comments and suggestions from you in the future!

Thanks for passing it along.  I would really like to see this happen and I think it would really distinguish USAA from competitors.  As much as I would like to keep all my transactions on my USAA credit card, I might have to look into getting a B of A card for this feature alone.  Thanks for being a great company nonetheless!

As another long time USAA member, I'd like to add my voice to the chorus requesting a virtual cc feature like this.

dola,

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. We always look for ways to improve and serve our membership better and your suggestions helps us accomplish this. Thank you for your membership!

Add another person anxiously awaiting this service. I asked about it adding it around 2005 or so. This is a very great service that protects the consumer. I'm suprised that USAA hasn't added it yet especially since they have been very tech friendly.

RJBurns,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in the Community. USAA is always looking for ways to improve the products and services we offer to our members. Your comments have been shared with our Member Feedback Teams for Review.

I am still looking for USAA to offer a ShopSafe like program. I was recently using Bank of America but I am completely dissatisfied with them and will now be using a CitiBank credit card for online shopping. I'd much prefer to use my USAA credit card but without an online temporary card option, I am forced to go elsewhere. Thanks for considering this again!