retnavy
Contributor

USAA just changed its rules on overdraft protection. I had my overdraft protection on a joint checking account overdraft protected with a savings account in the name of the individuals on the checking account. When I called to ask if I could put the checking account in the trusts name and have it protected by the trust savings account I was told that could't be done because a trust account cannot be used for overdaft for any other account even for an account belonging to the trust. I don't understand this, particularly as I was told this change was not required by any regulatory rule change, its just USAA's new policy. Can anyone explain why this was done, particularly without any feedback from the membership.

5 REPLIES

@retnavy, I apologize if this causes any inconvenice for you. Accounts that are established as a Trust can no longer protect other accounts. Since a Trust account is considered a complex account with a specific purpose, it is no longer able to support the overdraft protection purpose. ~ Samantha

What about a trust checking account?  Why can't a a trust savings account back up a trust checking account.

By the way who says a trust account cant be used for overdraft protection. What regulation says so. We set up a trust for a specific purpose. Using our trust for our overdraft protection is well within the reason we set up our trust. From its establishment, it served that purpose, and now some unknown (to us ) entity either within USAA or in some government agency knows more about why we set up trust than we do.

And it seems USAA does not seem to be able to tell us why. I do see, however, that USAA will let us use a cfredit card for overdraft protection (of course at a cost to us) when the reason we established the set up we have, it was to save us money.

@retnavy, Overdraft protection is a benefit offered by USAA. You must be an account holder on the 'protected' and 'protecting' account. At this time, USAA is unable to validate ownership on complex accounts. USAA has made a business decision to prevent co-mingling of funds between complex accounts and personal funds. ~ Samantha

I am having the same problem.  We've been members with USAA over 20 years.  We used to do everything with USAA and over the years we have slowly given our business to other banks due to stupid policies like this.  I called an agent to find out why we can no longer have overdraft protection.  The agent told me it was a new Federal Regulation.  Upon researching this, I find no regulation that is guiding USAA in this choice.  This infuriates me!  I have no interest in furthering our relationship.  In my opinion, USAA is not serving the interests of it's members.  

Hello and thank you for sharing your overdraft protection concerns. I'm sorry that the expectations shared previously with you may have been inaccurate. As of July 27, 2018 USAA made a business decision to prevent co-mingling of funds between complex accounts and personal funds. This allows us to focus on driving consistency for our members in validating ownership on complex accounts. The following accounts would be considered complex accounts and no longer eligible for overdraft protection:

• Estate
  • Guardianship/Conservator/District Clerk
  • Totten Trust
  • Trust (Fiduciary)
  • Veteran’s Affairs
  • Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA)
  • Representative Payee

Thank you and please let me know if I can be of further assistance!