JS6416
Contributor
Hello-
My new Visa Debit card is not working while shopping locally here in Korea. The card worked on base at the PX, but it would not work at a restaurant, 3x ATMs, and 2x taxis. I called customer support 3 times today and haven't had any luck getting this corrected. I have noticed the same complaint multiple time and would like to know what USAA is doing to correct this issue.
Thanks

34 REPLIES

JS6416, Thank you for reaching out! We regret to hear of the difficulty you are experiencing using your new card. We are researching this matter and appreciate you letting us know. If we need any other information or have any other concerns, we will reach out to you. In the meantime, please let us know if you experience any other issues with the card. ~Jen

I'm having the same exact issue, and many other USAA members are having this issue as well. I have not been able to use my debit card to buy things on the local economy in Korea for almost three months now, which has tremendous impact for me. Customer service continues to reset my PIN and send out new cards, which requires them to deactivate the current one, and they act like they aren't aware that this seems to be a wide spread issue. Every USAA chip debit card holder that I've spoken to in South Korea so far, has stated that their USAA debit card does not work with Korean vendors. I have a USAA chip credit card that works perfectly with all vendors. I have a DoD Community Bank chip debit card that works perfectly with all vendors. I would like to be able to buy things with money from my checking account without continuing to transfer funds between accounts day after day. Please escalate appropriately and fix this very frustrating issue. I'm sure all of your members serving in South Korea will be very happy when it happens. Thanks!

Thank you for your feedback Dburg. Our records indicate you have contacted us via telephone and we are currently researching the issue. We appreciate your feedback however, please note, due to the volume of feedback received from members we are unable to notify each member individually when a resolution is found. Your concerns and feedback have been shared to help have this issue resolved.

I am having the same issue with my new card in South Korea also. It wil work at the bx but cannot use it anywhere offbase establishments or ATM's. This is a big time inconvenience especially to alot of us that live off base. Now I have to go to base to pull money out to use off base. The exchange rate onbase is poor so thats another loss.

We moved here in June and still had the USAA MasterCard which worked beautifully on the Korean economy and ALL ATMs. We received the Visa in August and suddenly, it wouldn't work anywhere on the economy! My husband's won't work at all. Mine WILL work in SOME ATMs but not all. We' e phoned USAA multiple times and were told "we're not seeing any declined transactions; it must be the store." We don't live close to any US bases (Osan AB is 1 hour away) and with working, it's convenient to shop locally on Korean economy. And now my card, all of a sudden, won't work at the Korean supermarket nor ATM where it once did work. Case in point: about two weeks ago, we used my card to purchase traditional clothing for our grandchildren, my card worked. We shopped for groceries, it didn't work, at the same store!! I went to their ATM and withdrew, no problem. But a week later, my card now doesn't work at the ATM nor anywhere else in that store. NEVER had this problem with MasterCard only the new, "improved" Visa and reps aren't helpful. We are seriously contemplating changing to CitiBank - we've been told that theirs works flawlessly.

FNC,

Thank you for alerting us to the interruption in service you are encountering when trying to use your new chip Visa card in Korea. I realize how important it is to be able to use your card to make your withdrawals and purchased. I want to have this matter looked into to determine what might be causing this issue. I am sending a secured message on usaa.com with additional information for you. The message can be accessed once logged in by selecting the drop down arrow by your name then Alerts & Actions followed by My Messages. Thank you. - Rhonda

Hmmm. doo a keyword search in community.usaa.com for keyword: "visa" and "debit" and you will see several reports of the same stuff: USAA visa debit cards are not working in Belgium, Korea, UK, and i think there's one other country in the middle east.

Are you sure someone's been assigned to handle this debit card issue?  or did this get lost in the "ticketing system" again? like it did with the Visa Credit cards (where it took MONTHS for USAA to admit that the pins didnt work. It was months until they assigned for someone to get to the bottom of the issue to solve it.)

darvin1023,

Yes, our Visa project team is currently investigating this issue. We have requested additional details from FNC to assist in the research. 

I am having the same issue with my new card in South Korea also. It wil work at the bx but cannot use it anywhere offbase establishments or ATM's. This is a big time inconvenience especially to alot of us that live off base. Now I have to go to base to pull money out to use off base. The exchange rate onbase is poor so thats another loss.