Mobile Deposit not working. "Unable to read numbers"

SorrelAQHA
Contributor

Yesterday, I attempted to deposit a check and got an error message stating the numbers couldn't be read. Instead of depositing to my USAA account, I had to cash the check at the local bank from which it was drawn. Now I have cash I can't deposit because there isn't a USAA ATM anywhere near me. I assumed the problem was the check writer signed with a flourish which crossed over the check number.

This morning, I attempted to deposit a different check - a printed business check, and got the same error message. I have already endorsed this check and (again) there are no USAA ATMs anywhere near me, so I am unable to deposit it manually.

I've been using mobile deposit for quite a while now, including the beginning of October (with same printed business check) and this problem just started. It is more than inconvenient - it is potentially very expensive when I can't get money in to the bank to cover expenses.

I did delete and reinstall the app, and it did work - however, I had to reattempt the photo several times before it accepted it. I just wanted to let USAA know that there is a big problem with the app and it's negatively affecting bank members.

8 REPLIES

Hi SorrelAQHA, I regret your frustration in trying to deposit your check using Deposit@Mobile. Please note that if you're attempting to deposit a check with an attached stub, this may affect the apps ability to read the check. If you're still unable to deposit the check, please contact our Tech Support at 877-632-3002. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. - Ben

Both my husband and I are having same exact problem with the app, even after deleting and reinstalling. Super inconveneint in a state with NO locations to accept deposits!

I'm sorry to hear both you and your husband are experiencing issues in using our mobile app Washington Girl. I have reviewed the failed deposit attempts and would like to offer my assistance. Please let me know the best time to reach you by phone. The issue is an easy fix, if you'd like to attempt it again. Please be sure to follow the steps on the deposit feature as described. Front vs Back of check, amount, etc. I'm here to help if you'd like a call. :) ~ Lori

Hi there - I use deposit@mobile regularly and ran into an issue today.

Multiple attempts to deposit the same check and unable to read the pre-printed numbers at the bottom. The signature does overlap them a bit.

I need to deposit this check today if possible - please help. Feel free to ring me at the cell number on file (ending 0810).

Thanks!
~Nathan

Hello @NathanScripps. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this issue where the check numbers are not able to be read when attempting the deposit. You can attempt to place the check on a dark surface and see if this works. If not the only other option would be to mail in the check to USAA. If you do mail it, you will want to sign and put your account number on the back of the check. Our mailing address is as follows.

Mail Deposits

USAA Federal Savings Bank
Attn: Bank Priority Mail 9861
10750 McDermott Freeway
San Antonio, TX 78284-8426

Expedited Mail Carrier/Overnight Deposits

USAA Federal Savings Bank
10750 McDermott Freeway
San Antonio, TX 78288-0509

I hope this does help you. -Colleen

This is also happening to me across a number of recent depositis recently.  This is a new issue with USAA and have not struggled with it before.  Can you please submit a ticket to whoever is developing your photo app to actually correct this issue?  

@This is My Username, I understand how frustrating this must be. Many times it's due to using an outdated version of our app. To ensure you're using the latest version, please try you deposit again after Un-installing and Re-installing our mobile app. If the issue persists, the appropriate area to troubleshoot with you can be reached at 210-531-8722 when you ask for Website Support.

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. Have a great Fall weekend. ~ Lori 

Hi I just had the same problem with two checks I was trying to deposit. I tried putting the checks on a dark background. As soon as I did that the app accepted both checks without any problems. So put your check on a contrasting background and it should work. Hope this solves the problem.