jermont
Contributor
I can honestly say I don't mind change but in some instances I'm not all for it. I am certainly not enthused about having to change to Visa especially since I have had bad experiences with them prior to coming to USAA. I hope there are other options that members can take because I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels this way.

199 REPLIES

Dear jermont,

Thank you for commenting here in the community.

I am sorry to hear about your less than satisfactory experience with Visa previously, but please know that USAA is making the switch to Visa in an effort to continuously provide competitive benefits to our members and to allow us to offer better products and services. All members will continue to enjoy the same card benefits they enjoy today and all new cards will have an embedded chip feature for added security. Also, an added bonus will be the elimination of foreign transaction fees for USAA Visa credit cardholders in 2016.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and feedback! We look forward to your continued participation in the community.

You have already sent us a M/C with chip technology. You don't need Visa for this. How many customers did you calculate you will lose when you made this decision?

We really do appreciate all the comments. I know that we are currently working on notifications for all members, and will continue to do so through the end of the month. If you have any questions, comments or concerns - our FAQ page is very helpful, or please feel free to reach out to one of our member services representatives at 1800-531-USAA (8722).

Thank you.

I do not buy your story. Mastercard and and Visa are just proceessing companies. The bank is the one that provides the benefits. processing fee for paying a bill from Mastercard is $5.00 and Visa is $19.00. 

More information would be helpful to understand the comment about "paying a bill". i.e. What sort of "bill" is this? How is the $5 or $19 fee charged? Perhaps my financial affairs are too simple, but I simply have no idea what this comment is about. Even though they are just "processing companies", very large participants appear to be able to secure different terms. Costco, for example, is widely reported to have reduced their credit card fees by switching from Amex to Visa. USAA (a pretty large bank) appears to have been able to drop the Foreign Transaction Fee from 1% to zero. I follow this thread pretty closely, and this is the first time a specific dollar amount has been mentioned. Would love to know more details.

Ricky is confused.

Visa and MasterCard are processing networks.  That much is true.

However, benefits are provided by Visa / MC per their contract with the bank according to the contract negotiated by the bank.  In addition to negotiating the percentage of the processing fees that the bank receives per transaction, benefits are also negotiated as well as the foreign transaction fees.

Ricky doesn't know what he's talking about when he states there is a $5 processing fee to pay bills via MC versus $19 for Visa. 

Y'all really do need to stop whining or just get a new bank.  The switch is a done deal and no matter how much you continue crying it will not change. 

Just got an email about USAA chagjng to Visa.
I am not a fan of Visa and want to keep my MasterCard.

Hope USAA will give me the option to keep my favorite card.

Happy Member 909,

I truly do appreciate your comment, and am also sorry that you have not had a pleasant experience with Visa in the past.

Here is a bit of feedback from our bank, I can assure you this change is in the best interest of our members. :-)

"USAA is making the switch to Visa in an effort to continuously provide competitive benefits to our members and to allow us to offer better products and services. All members will continue to enjoy the same card benefits they enjoy today and all new cards will have an embedded chip feature for added security. Also, an added bonus will be the elimination of foreign transaction fees for USAA Visa credit cardholders in 2016."

If you do have any questions, comments or further concerns, please do give us a call at 1-800-531-USAA (8722) or send us an email along with your member number to socialmedia@usaa.com.

Thank you again.

So only for 2016 there are no overseas charges or if you have been a cardholder since 2016. Everytime i have traveled, especially overseas Visa has had a bad reputation and sometimes is not even accepted. I've always had an easy time with my Mastercard and USAA overseas. We shall see now.