S68w
Contributor
Recently I decided to open a USAA checking and saving account and deposited all the money I had from other bank. That was the “biggest mistake” I had made in my life. USAA freeze my accounts for no reason, I have been contacting USAA almost everyday for weeks and nothing have been done. This bank is cruel with no compassion for anyone. I live in Florida having to deal with the devastation that the hurricane Irma cause and to make matters worst with no money in my pocket. When I contact USAA by telephone explaining my situation they just redirect my calls over and over to different departments and after a couple of minutes they just hang up. My advice stay away from this bank, there is no phisical bank in states, except of Textas. USAA does not have your back, they don’t deserve the sacrifice service members make for our country. If somenone from the bank administration read this, please have some compasión and integrity, do something.

7 REPLIES

S68w, we can understand your frustration. However, for security we are only able to discuss this matter over the phone. When you contact us, please use extension 78116 for assistance.  We are eager to help you resolve this matter and are available Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm (CST). 

i deposited cash it didnt show up

called and was told there is a hold

a HODL on cash?

pathetic morons working at USAA

i deposited cash it didnt show up

called and was told there is a hold

a HOLd on cash?

pathetic mxxxs

working at USAA

@juror, I am sorry to hear you feel this way about our services. I'm happy to look into your concerns and will follow up with you regarding this matter. Thank you. - Rhonda

@juror, I've reviewed your account and sent you a Private Message with information for you to review at your convenience. To review click on your username on the top right-hand corner of the Member Community page and select the envelope icon. Thank you. - Rhonda

I will never ever use/recommend and further more have told all of my family about how USAA took money of mine that did not belong to them. They refuse to give me my hard earned money back. I am a single mother and trusted USAA with all of my funds. I had been a USAA member with the same account for 9 years and have never had problems, EVER. Any charges that were made that were not made by me had always been returned without an issue, which is what any and every bank is obligated to do for you since there are so many fraud things happening to anyone with a bank account now a days. In this instance that I have been dealing with for almost a full year now has ruined certain aspects of my life and they could care less.

Sequence of events during my during my USAA checking account being compromised on 11/29/2016.

1. I had deposited my regular paycheck into my USAA checking account using "deposit @ mobile" with my iPhone 7 plus 11/29/2016 at approximately 9:53am CST.
  2. At approximately 11:38am CST 11/29/2016 I had begun to receive emails to my email account which is my primary email address with my USAA account alerting me that a) my password had been updated b) my personal identification number had been updated (PIN*) and c) my security questions had been updated.
  3. At approximately 1:22pm CST on 11/29/2016 I received an email, confirming a transfer of $1,050 had been transferred out of the account to another account of mine. Which was then taken out with some kind of cash transaction. (That I have never once used this method in the 9 years I had my account, nor had I ever withdrawn every penny of my funds out of my acccount)
  4. At approximately 3:57pm CST on 11/29/2016 was when I had noticed these notifications in my email, so I had immediately called USAA and had all of my information changed and notified them of this fraudulent transaction.
  5. They were able to tell me that this transaction was made out to a "Sydney N. Cohen" Out of Hollywood, FL. They were also able to tell me this person called in using my cell phone number by using a technique called "Spoofing"
  6. I updated all of my information during that time, changing my password, pin, security questions and adding a extra security measure requiring you to entire an authentication code sent via text to the cell phone number listed on the account. They told me they would submit this to the fraud department and if it was ruled in my favor after investigation they would return all of my funds just as they would in the past.
  7. At approximately 3:33am CST on 11/30/2016 I received an email stating my account had been locked due to suspicious activity on my account.
  8. As soon as I read the morning of the email alert on 11/30/2016 I called USAA, and they let me then again update all of my information. I asked how this could be happening still? I asked them what information of mine they provided to authenticate who they were knowing they record all calls. However all they could tell me was the prompts that they "used to authenticate me" and it was that they provided USAA with my SS# and make/model of my car. I requested a transcript and access to listen to this call. They informed me that I needed to get a subpoena from local law enforcement to get access to that recorded call along with the transcript.
  9. USAA called me and notified me via mail that they ruled this fraud case in my favor and to expect the funds returned into my account within the next few business days.
  10. I got my funds returned to me, however not even a month later after $500 worth of bills were taken out of my account, USAA sent me a letter telling me that they re-opened my fraud case and decided that it was no longer in my favor, overdrew my account to take the money back and said if I did not pay them the $600 dollars that they over drew they would send me to collections.
  11. With this happening I decided to proceed with a subpoena, because I know for a fact this was a fraudulent charge and I have never given anybody my information to access my account. So I went to my local police department, the state attorney issued USAA a subpoena and they did not respond, nor would they release any of my records.
  12. In the midst of that happening, my job gave me a bonus and automatically submitted this bonus into my USAA account. USAA obviously held onto the funds. I logged into my account recently and saw the funds of almost $500 were just sitting in a non-existent account.
  13. I called USAA to ask them how I can get these funds since they belonged to me. The represenative on the phone said to expect that amount in a check in the mail within 7-10 business days, I waited 3 weeks and nothing.
  14. I called USAA again, they said "Oh, about that, you owed us money in an account that was overdrawn so you can't get your money except for $88, I said okay then where is my $88?" "Well do you want a check for $88?" I said, "I will take whatever you people are willing to give me because obviously you don't mind taking ALL of my money. Yes, send me the check NOW."
  15. I am now out $1,500 because of this company not following protocol to secure my information or my funds.

I am tired of going in circles with these people, always calling, having to authenticate myself thoroughly since they flagged my account.  I had to change my cell phone number, which has caused me a lot of havoc, email and faxed a Identity Theft Affidavit to the IRS and placed a freeze with Equifax services. (which is now obviously also compromised all of my information) SO ALL THE WAY AROUND USAA screwed me over big time. It is completely disappointing and depressing knowing I trusted these people. In this situation I cannot help but think the representative that gave out my information to begin with was the person that took my money, and USAA will not admit their employees are their biggest problem when it comes to any sort of data breach. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY THEY WILL TAKE ALL OF YOUR FUNDS!

Mermaidmom,  While we understand your frustration, we ask that you refrain from additional posts about the situation. As this is seen as “bumping” content—that is to say, posts that serve to repeat existing issues and bring them to the top of the page. Future posts regarding the same issue will not receive a response and are subject to removal from our wall. While it is our intention to never ban individuals from our page, if a violation of our guidelines is clear, we will remove the content and block the individual.  We are reviewing this matter and will conduct a follow up with you.  Thank you, Jen.