I lost my debit card. I need to get a replacement


What is the process for that?


Thank you for reaching out to us today @Boaty4. You can report your card lost or stolen on USAA.com by logging in and selecting the account in question. Once selected go to 'I want to' then report card lost/stolen. Another option is via chat by logging on USAA.com>select the envelop on the upper right hand corner>Message USAA>Ask USAA. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Have a good night. -Emily