How to attach supporting document on a dispute


I need to attach document that proved the house has been sold before the bill was sent to me by the mortgage company. How do I attach the document to my dispute claim.


Thank you for reaching out, @Mozart1977, I'm happy to help. You may send the document to us using one of the following methods:



  1. On the "My USAA" tab, go to "Inbox: My Alerts & Actions".
  2. Go to the message labeled "Provide Documents" and select the "Documents Requested" link.
  3. Select "Start Upload," select "Choose A File" and then select the document.
  4. Select "Open" and use "Add Another File" to add additional documents, if needed.
  5. Select "Done."


  1. Log on to our mobile app.
  2. At the top of the screen, select the arrow by your name (iPhone) or go to Inbox (Android).
  3. Tap "Send Documents to USAA" then tap "Requested Documents."
  4. Tap "Document Request," tap "Add Image" then:
          -   Select from Library - Locate your photos and select up to 10 images.
          -   Take Photo - Take a photo if you don t have one saved.
  5. Tap "Send."

Please note:

  • You'll receive a confirmation when your document is successfully uploaded.

  • Only include documents specific to the request to avoid misrouted documents.

  • Documents must be in PDF, JPG, JPEG, GIF, BMP or PNG format to be uploaded.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance. Tricia