How do I reverse a debit/credit card charge for goods that were not delivered by a merchant?



Hey there @Debocat! As long as the charge is not pending, you may dispute.  First, select your account > locate the charge you wish to dispute > click on the green "+" sign to expand the details > select the option to "dispute transaction" which is located to the lower right of the drop down box.  Complete the dispute questions asked and this will begin a dispute for you.  Hope this helps.