EMC1440
Contributor
I'd like to request a credit line increase but USAA requires a hard inquiry. This ultimately impacts and reduces my credit, something I've been diligently been working on for the past 6 years.

Is there a way to increase the limit without having to run a customer's credit?

12 REPLIES

That's a great question, EMC1440. Any time a credit limit increase is requested, your credit report will be used to determine if you qualify for a credit limit increase on your USAA credit card account. This will result in an inquiry to your credit report for you and each account holder listed on the account. Regrettably, there is no option to increase credit or obtain credit without running a credit report. If you would like to proceed in submitting a credit limit increase, please contact us at 1-800-531-8722. - Ben 

Ben, the response you provided is correct but if one has a relationship with usaa what is the reason for a hard credit inquiry ? Since there is a relationship most companies with only do a soft pull to review
Also, what happened to the internal reviews for credit limit increases. I thought this done automatically every 6 months or at the year mark.

batman 23, USAA periodically reviews credit card accounts and automatically increases the credit limits based on qualifying criteria. This is considered a soft pull.

Thanks for the response. When speaking with the credit card department they advised

" the only way a credit limit could be increased is when you request the increase and hard pull is completed."

I do appreciate the follow up on this and clarifcation. Maybe pass a note to the credit card people to make sure they are on the same page. good to know. 

thanks 

Thanks for the feedback, batman23. I'll be sure to share this with the appropriate area for further review. -Meredith

What is the qualifying criteria?

Hello and thank you for your inquiry in regards to criteria for a credit limit increase. We will review your overall credit profile, current payment history, as well as your current relationship with us in evaluating a credit limit increase. This request can be completed via usaa.com, mobile app, or with a credit card servicing representative. For self service:

USAA.COM

From the Account Summary Page:

1. Select the desired credit card account.
  2. Scroll down to the Account Services section near the bottom of the page.
  3. Select Change Credit Limit.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete the request.

MOBILE APP

From the Accounts tile:

1. Select the desired credit card account.
  2. In the top right corner select Menu.
  3. Select Change Credit limit.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete the request.

If you need assistance with by a representative please contact us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 5:00am-12:00 am CT and Saturday 6:00am - 10:00pm CT, or Sunday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. CT. Thank you and please let me know if I can further assist you!

I have been paying on thiscredit for awhile i would like to increase only 1000. I have been paying on time