AirmanMoney
Occasional Contributor

Most of my experience as a USAA member has been very good. However, today I write of an experience that was quite the opposite. On June 11th, I applied for a USAA American Express card that was advertised as having a sign up bonus of $150 after $500 dollars in spend after the first 90 days. I took screenshots of the offer that I still have. It appears the offer has been removed from the USAA website, but you can see it being written about here: xxxxxxxxxxx

and here: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and here: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I remember this offer vividly as I had set a reminder on my calendar as to the last day I would have to meet the minimum spend requirement, and I had been unable to apply for the card for the longest time due to too many applications. Even after multiple attempts with customer service representatives both on the phone and over chat, all say they are unable to honor the offer without a DM number. I respond that this was a public offer and no DM was provided to me, and they are still unable to honor the offer. I am astounded that no record of the offer can be found, when I have provided evidence that it did in fact exist.

You will notice in the comments of one of the first link I provided, that two other users report running into the same issue. This seems like poor business practice, and I am questioning whether it is worth it to continue to use USAA's products.

Morderator's Note: To remain within our Member Community guidelines, this post has been modified. 

Most Helpful

I just want to add an update that my issue was resolved, and the problem was due to me never noticing the sign up bonus redemption. I apologize for any trouble I caused. I am a little dissapointed none of the initial customer service representatives were able to tell me that the sign up bonus posted so that I could verify it instead of acting like the offer never existed, but I own the recklessness of not searching deep enough to see that it had posted. Thank you to all who assisted, I definitely take back my earlier comments about USAA.

7 REPLIES

@AirmanMoney, I understand your concerns.I will have them submitted on your behalf to the appropriate team for review. ~ Samantha 

wrote:

, I understand your concerns.I will have them submitted on your behalf to the appropriate team for review. ~ Samantha 

Thank you.

File your complaint with the CFPB, looks like they have been found guilty of Consumer violations. Look at what I just received. You are among a group of members who will receive a restitution payment due to one or more requests you made to dispute a payment between July 2011 and June 2016. At the time you made your request, there is a chance your request was not handled properly. This information is for your awareness only and you do not need to take any action.

About your restitution payment
You will receive a restitution payment of $181.59. Affected members with an active USAA Bank checking or savings account will receive a direct deposit into their account. Members who no longer have an active account will receive a check.

This payment is being provided in accordance with the terms of the consent order issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on January 3, 2019. The amount of the payment was determined in coordination with the CFPB.

Timing for your payment
We will be working with the CFPB on the restitution process in the coming months and while we cannot provide an exact date for providing restitution payments, please know we are making every effort to get this payment to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for that info. I would like to give USAA one last chance to revise this issue internally, but if not I will be going this route. As stated since I have screenshots of the offer, I do think I have a strong case.

I wish they would give us a date as to when the restitution payment will be paid out by USAA.

I just want to add an update that my issue was resolved, and the problem was due to me never noticing the sign up bonus redemption. I apologize for any trouble I caused. I am a little dissapointed none of the initial customer service representatives were able to tell me that the sign up bonus posted so that I could verify it instead of acting like the offer never existed, but I own the recklessness of not searching deep enough to see that it had posted. Thank you to all who assisted, I definitely take back my earlier comments about USAA.

@AirmanMoney, No worries at all!  I am glad we could help resolve this for you and apologize for the inconvenience! Thanks for reaching out; have a great weekend!