Sonia J
Occasional Contributor
I have been with USAA for a long time now. They are probably one of the stingiest banks I have been with. I called for a CLI and I was told my last automatic one was 2012! 6 years ago! She said it was based off of debt to income ratio and she doesn’t know how often they do these “random” increases. My 9 years wifh USAA I was BARELY given a 15k car loan let alone a CLI. However, NFCU within the first few years would approve me for anything and I made on time payments. It’s unfortunate because they always thank you for your service, but I guess that only comes with a credit score above 700 to help you in anyway. I don’t want a CLI to purchase anything, I want it to help boost my credit not hurt it by doing a hard inquiry. It was really disheartening to hear that from USAA.

7 REPLIES

@Sonia, We can understand the frustration.  USAA does consider each credit application on a "case-by-case" basis, and considers the "360" view of your entire credit and account profiles when rendering credit decision. We consider several factors such as both your USAA and credit profiles, including your debt to income ratio, banking account management, credit score, and history with USAA.  I will certainly pass along your feedback and appreciate the time taken to submit this to us.

I understand that it is a “360” view on more than that. But USAA’s outlook on the credit score outweigh case by case situations. It’s broad stroked and passed by. 6 years and all USAA can say is how my CL was increased ONCE in the last 6 years. They can’t even say when it was ever looked at after that. Or explain the reasons why it wasn’t increased. It’s beyond frustrating.

Thank you for your reply, Sonia J. I regret to inform you that your account type does not qualify for a credit limit increase. We have been reviewing the account for possible graduation on a monthly basis. Proactive graduation criteria includes, but is not limited to:

• Account has been open for at least 18 months.
  • Account is not delinquent or over limit.
  • No delinquencies in the past six statement cycles.
  • Credit qualification.

Once your account meets the criteria for graduation, we'll notify you by letter. At that point, you may request a credit limit increase. ~DC

Can someone call me? Because I believe the only one that applies is my credit qualification which is slightly over a 610

Thank you for your reply, Sonia J. We'd be happy to assist you via secured chat. Simply send a private message to begin the conversation. If you would prefer to speak with someone over the phone, please call 210-531-8722. 

So, I call USAA this morning regarding this “graduation to a CLI” to be transferred to 3 different people and explain what I am asking 3 different times. I was told that the CC that I have can’t have a CLI EVER! So I find it odd why you are stating that my “account gets monitored monthly for CLI graduation”.

@Sonia J, I regret an misunderstanding. The Classic USAA credit card does not qualify for credit limit increase. In order for the card (same account number) to qualify for a credit limit increase, it would need to have graduated to a USAA Rewards credit card. As previously mentioned, once your account meets the criteria for graduation, we'll notify you by letter. - Ben