Highlighted
Z6
Contributor
So I've been working diligently to pay off all debt. I recently made a large payment to my USAA CREDIT CARD only for them to decrease my limit by that amount. Weird? Why would they do this?

39 REPLIES

Z6, USAA Savings Bank regularly reviews credit card accounts and makes adjustments when necessary. If your line was lowered, you'll receive a letter by mail in the next few days with further details. Thank you, Jen

The same thing happened to me this week. It has completely shattered my trust with USAA. Of course noone notified me of this change. I am highly considering banking elsewhere after this. USAA only cared when I was active duty.

@it'sike, I am sorry you feel this way and we would hate to see you leave. I am sending your feedback now. ~Tom

Because they are not really trying to help at all if you start getting into pickles. They care about their bottom line, especially since they started accepting every Tom Dick and Harry to be members and upped their risk. They also outsource too much and therefore risk our info in addition to reducing us to a number in their customer list. Less personal service and computerized decisions that will inevitably anger a lot of people and drive them to Navy Fed (example). I might add that getting you into debt was likely their idea, shoving preapproved credit cards down your throat every time you log on and loans that don't always give good interest rates. Just my 2 cents!

LadyUnLuck, our mission is to help our members facilitate financial security. Sometimes this can mean adjustments are done to help the overall picture for our members. Each member's life story is different. We do offer our financial advice representatives to help go over any concerns or questions you may have regarding credit and finances. We never want you to feel that we don't care;  we want to help as best we can to make sure your future is secure.

In regards to our membership, membership is open to our Military and their families. It is not open to the general public. You may review more about this by clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/1WCFuBu. 

We hope this is helpful. Have a great one, ~Jen

Same thing here. Been with USAA for 17 years. I paid off one of my credit cards and my limit was decreased. I agree with ladyunluck, USAA is only looking at their bottom line. My credit score is 750, no real reason to decrease my limit, only because the saw that I was not paying interest on it anymore. I opened an account with penfed and to them my credit is worth 25K, USAA only thought I was worth 1500.

Mike5187 - No one wants to see a credit limit decrease. Please know that a decision to lower your credit availability in no way reflects your worth as a member. Our mission is to help facilitate the financial security of all our members. Sometimes this can mean adjustments are done to help the overall picture for our members. Each member's financial picture and needs are different. We do offer our financial advice representatives to help go over any concerns or questions you may have regarding credit and finances. We want to help as best we can to make sure your future is secure. Thanks for joining the conversation. - Jason

I have a Penfed card $20,000 limit and zero balance. Discover Card $19,500 and zero balance. Navyfed $25,000 and $6400 balance. I think if I pay my card off with USAA then I too would only be worth $1,500

Something went wrong with USAA, highest interest of all my cards and a lower and lower limit.

This just happened to me. They lowered mine by 1/3 completely destroyed my credit usage rating and have really hampered my process of buying a new vehilce. If I am unable to get the truck I want because of this,  I'll be shoppng my auto loan, home and auto insurance to another company.

thanks USAA....