Checks not cashed over 180 days, where do they go? To money heaven???

Regular Contributor

I found a refund check that was sent to me from USAA in 2014. I dont remember seeing this, I was retiring from the military during that time and traveling so things were pretty chaotic. Now I know that if the check is not cashed over 180 days its called a stale check. But is there someone i can talk to, to help me get this money? It should have gone SOMEWHERE?

I used the chat feature and asked the young lady and all she could say was...I'm sorry its over a 180 days its a stale check, is there anything else i can help you with? Confused I asked her was there someone i could talk to and her response was.....I'm sorry its a stale check, is there anything else i can help you with? Ugh. So frustrating! Any help would be much appreciated!

Most Helpful

Hello @Mickimac, I did respond to your previous post regarding this issue. We are able to assist you with looking to see if we can cancel this check and issue a replacement. Do you happen to know what this check was for? -Colleen

10 REPLIES

Hello @Mickimac, I did respond to your previous post regarding this issue. We are able to assist you with looking to see if we can cancel this check and issue a replacement. Do you happen to know what this check was for? -Colleen

Oh Colleen, you are a USAA angel sent from heaven!!! 

It doesn't really say? It said something about Policies being billed. Then it said your refund check is attached. It looks like you guys sent it on behalf of Bank of America? I did a little research and it has a Bank of America routing number but it has the USAA stamp. With a USAA address: 9800 Fredericksburg Road, San Antonio, Texas [removed sensitive data]. With a USAA 9 digit number. Thank you sooo much for responding so quickly! 

You are more than welcome @Mickimac! We are reaching out to the appropriate area for assistance to include reviewing your account. While I can't provide a specific time I appreciate your patience while waiting for a response from this area. -Joseph

Thank you so much Joseph! I will be standing by! I wish this thing had emojis! Lol

Also, i can send you a copy of the check and letter if this will help you! Just tell me where to send it! 

That is why we are here, I totally hear you (smile)!  This area will be able to review your account from the details and prior messages to locate the information regarding the check. Your more than welcome from the tag team of Colleen and Joseph! (smile). 

Hi Joseph,

Were you able to find anything out about the check?

Hello @Mickimac, due to the complexity of this, please contact us at 210-531-8722 or initiate a chat on usaa.com. To initiate a secure online chat, please select ASK USAA near the top of your account page, or from the HELP tab, select Chat from the Contact Us Chat options. Our chat team is available 24/7. Thank you. ~Sarah 

Thanks Sarah, i will call! Last time I used the chat request, she could not answer which got Colleen and Joseph involved.  When  I call will they understand or will i have to explain everything again? Thanks for your quick response!

You are very welcome! I will leave notes on your profile in regards to this! :) ~Sarah