Add Fiance as Authorized User on my Credit Card?

heymisscake
Contributor

My fiance has never had a credit card, and thus has no credit score. The lack of a score is hindering us when it comes to getting approved for an apartment. I'd like to add him as an authorized user on my USAA credit card as a way for him to start building his up. How do I do this? 

I saw an easy option for adding him to my checking account, but I don't see an option for adding him to my credit card? 

5 REPLIES

heymisscake, Congrats on your engagement. You can certainly add your fiancé to your American Express card. Simply click on your credit card, and scroll to the very bottom of the page and select the option to "request an additional card for someone else."  Follow the instructions to complete his addition as your authorized user.  This will then be reported to his credit to help his credit history start to build.  I hope this is helpful.  ~Jen

The person I'm trying to add has a USAA account and has been added as a family member, yet their name doesn't show as an option in the drop-down menu.  Why might this be?

@adion, thanks for reaching out. To add an authorized user on your account, go to your My Accounts Summary, Scroll to the bottom of the page for the listing of Account Services, Under the Card Services heading, select "Request an Additional Car for Someone Else." Follow instructions to complete your request. Name should appear in the drop down menu. Please let us know if you have additional questions. Thank you, Tricia

Good afternoon,

I understand that this is an old question however I am in a similar situation.  I have been a member since 1992 and have been married for over 10 years.  I had my credit card account prior to getting married and was under the impression that as I was building credit history she was as well.  I have recently learned that that is not the case and she should have been added as a authorized user.  Bad on me for not knowing that is how the world works.  The question was raised... If I add her as an authorized user on the credit account, could the history be back dated to include her and thus show credit history?  This doesn't sound likely but I would hate to think that we have lost the last decade of established good credit.  Thank you for your time.

@Aivlis, I'm sorry to hear about this situation, sadly we can not back date adding an account user. Since we are not credit advisors, these questions will need to be directed to the credit reporting agencies. Thank you. ~Sarah