768 fico is not excellent enough credit for USAA auto loan advertised rates!

Moebetta
Contributor
So, i decided to buy a new car a few weeks back and in preparation i signed up for the credit score on my USAA home page. 755 is what was displayed and next to it says excellent! Today i applied hoping to take advantage of the published rates and was shocked to see 3.14 for 60 months. Not quite the 2.49 that is advertized. After talking to customer service i find out that i only have A+ credit, not USAA A ++ credit. So i asked the rep what my score was because my USAA home page says i have excellent credit with a 755. The rep tells me i have 768 in my application results. I asked what score allows me to get A++ ranking and she could not tell me. Thinking USAA may think my income to debt ratii was too high, i reapplied with my wife who makes 40k a yearand 90% goes into the bank. We live off my income alone. ....same rate with the joint application. Oh yeah, i onky applied for 39000 and they authorized up to 58k, so its not like they think i cant afford it. Most major auto loans consider tier 1 credit to be between 730 and 750. The VA loan only needs 740! Why does isnt 768 good enough for ther published rate? Disappointed

58 REPLIES

Moebetta,

We appreciate you posting your feedback in Community. USAA considers many different factors when making decisions about extending credit in addition to your credit profile. Feedback from our members is important to our continued success. Rest assured, your comments will be shared with our Member Feedback Teams.

Check with the dealership, especially since you're buying new. When I bought my new Nissan last year I qualified for 0% financing through them and I had around a 745 at that time.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  Beyond frustrating.

I'm in the same boat...though my credit score isn't as good yours, I've applied for even the smallest personal loan they offer, which is $2500 and have been denied... they say they take into consideration many things but apparently even with a credit score just below 700 but 100% ALWAYS ON TIME payments isn't one of them...no instead they look to see how many inquiries you've had within the past year and if it's more than 1 it's too many (I had 3 but it was for financing a vehicle at a dealership)...great auto insurance rates, but I'll NEVER try for even a small personal loan through USAA again sorry...you basically need near perfect credit to get a loan it seems

Thanks for posting to our Community Alex1024. I tried to contact you at the number we have on file, however I wasn't able to reach you. I've sent a secured email to your online message center in reply. To access it, simply click your name, select Alerts & Actions and scroll down to Notifications. - Cathleen

That is crazy. Im having the same issue right now and mine is over 700 as well

I am also debating, I just got approved a Visa with USAA and I want to buy a new car but my score is under 700. I am trying to rebuild my credit and I dont want to inquire, get denied and drop my score. I called and it wasnt to helpful.

Hello and thank you for concern regarding the Annual Percentage Rate for your Auto Loan application. Your credit score is only one factor used as part of the decision in determining the final term of your loan request. Our loan decisions encompass other factors such as your overall credit history, current debt to income ratio, the collateral for the loan, amount requested, as well as your overall relationship with us. Our consumer lending department would be happy to engage our underwriting department while you are on the phone with us to confirm the exact factors that impacted the final APR for your loan request. At your earliest convenience please contact us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 6:30am-10:00pm CT and Saturday 8:00am - 6:00pm CT. Thank you! - Darrell

797 credit score, no issues, not a missed payment in over 10 years, no massive debt, stable job, almost 6 figure income and I don't qualify for excellent credit... called and asked and got a monotone guy who wouldn't tell me why I didn't qualify,