Cessna Pilot
Contributor

Did a mobile deposit of my 1st Paycheck and needed to pay my rent 4 days later. They transferred  me to some guy that  had no personality and emotion. After being with usaa for a  few years, this is the straw that broke my Wback. Labor  Day weekend and rent was due Saturday.They didn't  budge. Closing my  checking  account  with  them this coming Wednesday because I felt like thry didn't  care about my situation. Marine veteran of 3 Wars since 1985. No respect!

69 REPLIES

Here's what the USAA Depository Agreement says:

Remote Deposit Capture and Similar Services

The availability periods described in this section do not apply to funds submitted through FSB’s USAA Deposit@Home, USAA Deposit@Mobile, USAA EasyDeposit, other remote check deposit or remote deposit capture services, ACH debit transactions (where FSB drafts funds from (debits) a non-USAA account for deposit into your FSB account), or other similar services. FSB will hold the funds for up to seven business days from the date of deposit. In some instances, funds may be available sooner than seven business days based on such factors as credit worthiness, the length and extent of your relationship with FSB and its affiliates, transaction and experience history, and such other factors as FSB, in its sole discretion, deems relevant.

I have a local bank for the "just in case" issues you describe. USAA has been good to me, but you have to look out for yourself as well.

This policy makes complete sense.  I've been reading through many posts trying to figure out why so many people are experiencing problems which I have never heard of.  It seems those who have checking, credit, savings, mortgage, automobile etc.. accounts with USAA do not get the auto hold placed on their checks. In fact, I have always loved USAA because I can access my paycheck one day earlier than my co-workers, and the deposits at home immediately. I cannot say that I disagree with the way this works.  USAA is protecting those who have a significant amount invested into them.  I do remember when direct deposit first came about, I had a hold on a check only because it was a personal check for a large sum of money.  I was told because I did not have overdraft protection setup through my USAA credit card, the check would be on hold until it cleared.   Basically, if the check bounces and the funds are already spent, they can use the credit cards as overdraft protection.  Again, from a business standpoint, I completely understand the rationale behind this.   Since we take 'photos' of checks, they need time to process them and verify their authenticity.  Please don't think someone has not attempted to cash a phony check, not all members are honest....  

Remember, you can always go with a local FSB.  Yes they are more convenient, but local branches cost money.  We pay low to no fees and enjoy great benefits because USAA keeps cost low.  If you don’t move a lot and do not like the terms set by USAA, then there’s always local banking.  But I’ve been with them for many years and also had to deal with local banks.  I will take USAA over another institution any day.

10 year member here, with all but my mortgage through USAA. They put a 7 day old on my husband's payroll check from a Fortune 100 company, and have very politely told us to kick rocks when we asked them to release our funds.

This is not how you treat a decades long customer. I'm in the process of switching back to Navy Fed because of their idiotic hold policy.

I agree - you need to move on. If you do not feel like you are being treated fairly you definitely need to switch banks. I am a memeber of both NFCU and USAA. They both have pluses and minuses, but USAA is rated the top bank in the country by Consumer Reports.

I hope you have better success at NFCU - I have not.

Dear "thisbankstolemymoney"

Thank you for your 10 years of membership.

If you are depositing a payroll check and your husband's employer offers direct deposit-, your USAA account accepts direct deposit from your payroll provider at no cost. Direct deposits coming from a payroll provider are not subject to holds as they are considered verified funds. If you are depositing a check or transferring funds from an external bank, you can utilize a wire transfer, which is also not subject to holds. USAA does not charge you for incoming wire transfers.

I have shared your experience and feedback with the bank. Thank you for taking the time to post.

You are holding a cash deposit and my direct deposit now and will not release the funds and I have no money.

If you say Direct deposits coming from a payroll provider are not subject to holds as they are considered verified funds.

Then release my money

I have all those accounts you listed, been a loyal member for 18 years and they have never placed any holds on my checks.........until last week. It was for 7 days on a check I regularly have deposited every 2 weeks for the last 5 years. I called to see if anyone could help and the USAA rep told me I should bank locally!!! What is my USAA turning into? The service is started to tank after they opened membership up even more. I am really disappointed.

Hello @LizzieK, I appreciate you reaching out to us today. I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate area. Please know holds are not only placed to prevent loss/fraud, but also if an account has had recent negative history, such as overdrawing the account, returned deposits or NSF resulting in returned payments, which can cause holds on certain deposits. Deposit holds are a standard practice with all banks. Additionally, to help prevent any negative impact, when using our mobile app to deposit, any amounts that are subject to holds is displayed before finalizing and submitting your authorization to continue with the deposit. This allows you the opportunity to cancel if the amount on hold would impact you in any way. Thank you for allowing the opportunity to clarify the reason for holds. Have a good day. -Emily

Well that whole, "you can cancel before hitting submit." Answer is dumb because you've already written for deposit only to USAA FSB acct # [removed sensitive data] on the back.

Answer that.