Breadcrumb Trail:

Highlighted

Continuous Credit Card Fraud

Continuous Credit Card Fraud

Will M's avatar User  Will M  (Opens a pop up layer) New Member

I've been with USAA since 1995 and have always had nothing but great things to say about their services and customer service. However, the last 3-4 years it seems as though I've had a problem with unauthorized credit card use on my USAA credit card. Now this is no fault of USAA, and they're awesome when it comes to detecting the fraud and alerting me. But even though they change my credit card # and send me news cards, I seem to have to go through this at least once a year for the past 3-4 years. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem??

BTW - my identity has not been stolen and my credit and other credit cards have not been affected.

William

Re: Continuous Credit Card Fraud

Mean's avatar User  Mean  (Opens a pop up layer) New Member

in REsponse to Will M,

Yes.  The same thing has been happening with us.  We've been members for over 40 years and this is the 4th time my card has been replaced in 2 years.

3 out of the 4 times it was because someone was using the credit card number or a fake credit card.

This last time in December a person identified himself as my husband and was actually able to get 2 new credit cards issued to him at an address at which we never received mail. He did this without a phone password but somehow used my husband's cell phone number to identify himself.

This was immediately caught as we were out of town in locations we normally travel using the credit card while the crook was using the card concurrently. USAA told us that undoubtedly my husband's identification had been compromised, however as far as we can tell no other fraudulent activities have been attempted.

My concern is that the USAA agent responsible for issuing the new cards did not obtain adequate identification to issue those cards.  My husband doesn't even know the online password or hints, so obviously they didn't ask for that.  Anyone can use a cell phone number.  They were only able to say that there were other publicly available identifiers that were used. To my mind that is not adequate. At this time USAA will text a code to your cell phone that is identified as belonging to you in order for your account to be accessed and we are using that. If someone were to steal the phone that could be a problem but it's better than their old system.

The other thing I noticed while trying to resolve the theft and fraud was that during my multiple calls I was able to bypass identifying myself with anything other than the telephone number I was calling from was in my profile.  At one time when speaking with the fraud and identity theft division the agent stated that they could talk with me because I had already been through all the identifying steps.  NOT! When informed of this there was no response, no explanation to how that occurred.

It's my intention to write to USAA to the most senior officer and set forth this occurrence.

Yes, USAA has been GREAT but like you we are wondering what is going on of late.

The fact that they absorb the fraud, in our case it was $500 or more this time, is wonderful but we are "members" of USAA so we all absorb that loss.

Mean (as in not average)

Re: Continuous Credit Card Fraud

BrianaHartzellUSAA's avatar User  BrianaHartzellUSAA Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience Mean.

Your experience has been escalated to the fraud department who will be reviewing it in detail and will be in touch with you personally.

Please be assured that USAA is required to verify callers and follow a set of authentication guidelines.

For other members concerned with fraud prevention here is some additional information you may find helpful : https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/advice-security-protectyourselfonline

Popular Topics
Close Pop-up